Safeguarding Children and Young People
YMCA of the Northern Territory (YMCA NT) has a legal, moral and Mission-driven responsibility to protect children and young people from harm and to ensure that any incidents of suspected child abuse are promptly and appropriately managed. YMCA NT believes that all children and young people have the right to develop and reach their potential in environments that are caring, nurturing and safe.
YMCA NT considers any form of abuse towards a child or young person as inexcusable and believes that the protection, supervision and safety of children and young people is paramount.
YMCA Statement of Commitment
YMCA NT, including its Board of Directors, commits to creating and maintaining an environment that ensures all people involved in YMCA NT activities, programs or services act in the best interests of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and take all reasonable steps to ensure their safety, welfare and wellbeing.
YMCA NT has adopted our national movement's Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy which has been endorsed by the National Council of YMCAs. This policy applies to every person engaged to provide services at YMCA, and includes the following key elements:
- All employees and volunteers must maintain a valid Working with Children Check.
- We do not appoint employees or volunteers until a satisfactory police check has been completed.
- Our staff and volunteers must comply with the YMCA NT Safe Behaviours, which provides guidelines for appropriate behaviour when working with children and young people.
- All staff and volunteers must complete the Australian Childhood Foundation's Safeguarding Children and Young People course.
- Our staff and volunteers must comply with legislated mandatory reporting requirements, and with our Reporting Procedures.
- Each of our centers and services participates in annual auditing and monitoring processes, to ensure compliance with the SCYP Policy and procedure.
more information about our Safeguarding Children and Young People commitment
and what that means for the families that use our services you
can download our brochure
YMCA NT considers the safety and wellbeing of children and young people to be our highest priority and are committed to providing a safe environment for all children and young people. We ensure that our staff and volunteers always act in the best interests of children and young people, take all reasonable steps to keep them safe, and to promptly respond to any concern regarding the safety or development of children in our care.
YMCA NT provides Safeguarding Children & Young People Commitment Statement in the following languages:
If you would like to discuss this very important topic with YMCA NT, or to make a report in regards to the safeguarding of children and young people, please contact us via the form below.
YNT Safeguarding Officer Contact Details: